If you’re looking to embark on a career as a mobile app developer in 2023 but are unsure about the choice of programming language, you’ve come to the right place.
The demand for app developers is rising in sync with the popularity of mobile applications. App developers, especially those proficient in iOS and Android, are in high demand across businesses of all sizes.
To be honest, app development has long been a highly rewarding profession. While it gained traction during the J2ME and Nokia era, it truly took off with the emergence of Android and iOS.
Let’s delve deeper and explore which programming language is most suitable for mobile app development in 2023. Now that you have a basic understanding of the various options available to you as an app developer, let’s proceed.
Java is another widely used, robust, and productive programming language that is in high demand and can open doors to promising careers. You can utilize the Java programming language to build Android apps, despite Java’s reputation as a server-side language best suited for constructing robust backend features.
Those who are just starting out in the field of iOS app development in Singapore would do well to familiarize themselves with Java. To become a full-stack developer, you can build a Java backend in addition to applications for Android.
In 2023, mastering Swift is a must if you want to go into iOS programming, which includes building apps for iPhone & iPad.
It has supplanted Objective C as the language of choice for creating iOS applications. Swift is the native programming language for iOS, as well as its close resemblance to Python should convince you that it’s worth your time to learn it.
Advantages of the Swift Programming Language:
- The Swift programming language comes with a fantastic integrated development environment (IDE) named Xcode.
- Swift serves as a type-safe language that catches most beginner errors at compile time because it is simple to read, comprehend, & code in.
- Swift has server applications. It might be challenging to get up to speed on this idea, as most businesses will either be using their proprietary framework or a few of the industry standard frameworks.
- While this is fantastic news, it’s important to note that breaking into the industry as a junior developer or landing your first position can be quite challenging.
Kotlin serves as the programming language of choice for serious Android App developers in the year 2023. The Android community can expect this to be the next big thing.
Although Java is still the most popular language of choice, numerous integrated development environments (IDEs) now offer Kotlin for Android development. These include IntelliJ IDEA & Android Studio.
Listed below are some benefits and drawbacks of learning Kotlin for app development:
- The language is contemporary and clear.
- Enables you to use lambdas for functional programming.
- Validity checks for exception types
- High-quality resources and a helpful user base.
- Despite claims that Koltlin will replace Java in the future, this has not happened as of yet.
- The compilation time is two to three times as long as in Java (incremental compilation is supported in IDEA but not in Gradle).
- The main advantage of learning Kotlin is that Google will continue to promote it as the official app creation language for the development of Android apps.
The fact that Flutter makes it so simple to create apps that work across platforms is probably the best argument for learning Dart. We recommend the Dart programming language for those interested in learning Flutter.
- Simple to pick up if you’re familiar with C syntax.
- Web & mobile apps can share the same source code.
- An incredible community of kind and helpful people
- Although the backend (API/Server) is currently a secondary concern, several subs & generic domain packages may be required for supporting the core domain.